Monday, March 11, 2013

Bipartisan Christianity...

Ephesians 5:18, 21 "... but be filled with the Spirit... subjecting yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ."

Bipartisan.  I like the sound of that term.  Unfortunately, it seems to have been omitted from the vocabulary of our government leaders these days.  What we see, hear, and read of politicians is posturing, jockeying for position, seeking a way to advance their own position, unwilling to consider other points of view.

The concept of bipartisanship has to do with being willing to compromise without sacrificing one's principles. It is rooted in the concept of humility and mutual submission.  It seeks to advance the greater good rather than personal agendas.

Paul said it this way in Philippians 2, "...make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.  Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.  Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus..."

I confess that, like the politicians, I am not naturally bipartisan.  Subjecting myself to someone else, being willing to relinquish my agenda doesn't happen easily.  Rather, Paul tells me that it is another mark of being controlled by the Holy Spirit, and it is a means of showing honor and respect to Jesus.  Jesus is the ultimate example of setting aside one's rights in order to accomplish the Father's will.  If He did it for me, shouldn't I be willing to follow His example?

Dear Lord, I don't know what "subjecting myself to others" will look like today, but I know it begins with subjecting myself to You.  Holy Spirit, I relinquish to You  my "right" to control, to be in charge.  Please help me to be sensitive to others and to discern when to yield.  I want to represent You well today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment