Monday, March 18, 2013

Who's your boss?

Ephesians 6:5-8  "Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free."

"I hate my job!"  "My boss is a jerk!"  "I can't wait to find somewhere else to work!"  When I hear such comments, I count my blessings.  I've been blessed to have had jobs I enjoyed and bosses I respected.  That doesn't mean, however, that there haven't been times where I've been so stressed and discouraged that I wanted to walk away.  Even the most pleasant job has its frustrations and potential for conflict.  In times like that, it is easy for me to narrow my focus and see only the problems.   That's when I'm in desperate need of an attitude adjustment.

Like pulling on my dog's leash to get his attention, Paul's words jerk me back to reality.  They remind me of Who my real Boss is.  I may get my paycheck from a human, but my employer is Jesus Christ.  My immediate supervisor is none other than the Holy Spirit, and He lays out the following principles to keep me in line:  I need to go to work each morning with:
 1.  The Right perspective - as serving Jesus - a respectful, sincere heart
 2. The Right motive - to please Christ, not men
 3. The Right attitude - good will - positive and seeking to serve
 4. The Right expectation -not for man's reward, but to receive good  from The Lord

Lord, I have my calendar and to-do list in front of me.  Please help me to go about my work today, mindful that even in the most mundane tasks I am serving You.  Please keep my perspective clear, my motives pure, my attitude positive and my expectations high.  Feel free to drop in and observe and evaluate my job performance.  Help me to not miss any appointments You have penciled in on my schedule.  I want to please You today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment