Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Three little words...

Ephesians 5:25, 28, 29 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her... So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself... for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church..."

Joan and I were looking through our wedding album last evening.  A few couples we've known for years are celebrating their "50th" this coming summer, and a dear friend is planning an anniversary party.  Although we're still a few years shy of that momentous goal, she asked us to email her a photo of our "special event".

Leafing through the photo album, we found ourselves caught in a "time warp".  Gazing at those photos instantly transported us both back to our youth.  Suddenly we were standing there at the altar, looking into each other's eyes, reciting our vows, pledging our undying love for one another. I couldn't imagine loving anyone more than I loved Joan at that moment.

I'm reminded of Brad Paisley's song, "I Thought I Loved You Then". After nearly five decades of marriage, I realize that, although sincere in my affection and commitment, my understanding of love was pretty basic.  To put it in "teaching reading terms", I was at the pre-primer level.

Paul sums up in three little words what, after all these years, I am still trying to attain. I am to love my wife "just like Jesus" - just as Christ loved the church.  As Jesus did for me, I am to put her needs, interests, desires before my own.  In short, I am to nourish and cherish her.

I have found that my ability to love my wife "just like Jesus" parallels my relationship with Him.  It's like an equilateral triangle, with Jesus at the apex (the top) and Joan and I at the vertices on the base.  As we move towards the the apex, the distance between us diminishes.   Similarly, if I move away from Jesus, I find myself more distant from my wife.

Dear Lord, I have yet to discover words adequate to describe how grateful I am to You for bringing Joan and me together.  I confess my inadequacy to love her like You want me to, like you love us.  Thank You for showing me the way, illuminating the path.  Thank You for not leaving it to my ability, but for empowering me by Your Holy Spirit.  Please help me today to truly nourish and cherish Joan.  I want to love her "just like Jesus".  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment