Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A recipe for godliness...

Titus 1:1    "Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness..."

My wife really knows her way around the kitchen.  I enjoy watching her bake, and I enjoying tasting the results even more!  Baking doesn't come naturally to me.  I need a recipe unless it's something I regularly prepare... like pancakes.  I've been the designated Saturday morning pancake maker since I was 11 years old, so it's second nature to me.  I still have to be careful to measure the ingredients and be sure that I haven't forgotten any, but I no longer need step-by-step instructions.

My walk with God is similar.  Paul gives Titus the recipe for a godly lifestyle.  Faith (trusting God) combined with knowledge (experience) of the Truth will produce godliness (a life pleasing to God).  The longer I follow the Lord, the more His truths, His principles become a part of who I am.  Walking with Him each day transforms "knowledge" into "experience".

When I am careful to follow His recipe - spend time with Him each morning, actively listen to the Holy Spirit throughout the day, and respond according to His prompting - I sense His pleasure at the end of the day.  If I become careless or overconfident, I make mistakes and the end result is not as pleasant.

Lord, thank You for giving me Your recipe for living a godly life.  I know what to do, but I confess that I tend to become preoccupied with other things and I neglect to include all of the ingredients in their proper proportion.  Please let my walk today result in  a fragrant aroma and delicious treat for You.  I'm following the recipe!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment