Monday, October 8, 2012

"You ain't seen nothin' yet..."

2 Corinthians 6:4-9. "but in everything commending ourselves as servants of God, in much endurance, in afflictions, in hardships, in distresses, in beatings, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in hunger,........ in purity, in knowledge, in patience, in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in genuine love, in the word of Truth, in the power of God; by the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and the left, by glory and dishonor, by evil report and good report; regarded as deceivers and yet true; as unknown yet well-known, as dying yet behold, we live; as punished yet not put to death..."

I used to be afraid of needles, hated going to the doctor, getting shots. Then I experienced cancer.  Needles and shots became a way of life, a way to preserve my life.  I used to think the 24 hour flu was unbearable.  Then I experienced chemotherapy and its side-effects.

As I ponder and absorb this partial résumé of Paul's experience, the truth begins to sink in that, compared to his, my life as a Christian has been relatively tame and untested. Sure, I've had a few trials, but nothing as intense as this.

How do I respond when I do encounter difficulties? I am usually surprised, taken back, wondering what to do next.  Then I look at the 2nd half of Paul's list.  I'm ashamed to admit that my response to trials falls way short of his.

As Christians in America, we live a sheltered, protected life.  We blithely go about our daily business, unaware of the reality that our brothers and sisters around the world experience.  They know first hand what Paul was talking about; they are living it out!  I'm also afraid that we aren't far behind.  Our country is moving in that direction.  Unless things change, our résumés will also mirror Paul's.

Lord, I understand that there is a battle underway and that I am not on the front line.  I get into an occasional skirmish, but nothing like the daily fire-fights my fellow-soldiers in other countries face. Please help me to faithfully pray for them, and please continue to prepare me for the battles ahead.  Although I "ain't seen nothin' yet", You see everything , including Your eventual victory.  I love being on the winning side!!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment