Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Liar, Liar...

Titus 1:2   " in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago..."

In the 1997 comedy, "Liar Liar", Jim Carrey portrayed a career-obsessed lawyer who was a compulsive liar.  He did and said whatever it took to advance through the ranks of his firm  Truth was seemingly not in his vocabulary until his son made a birthday wish for him to speak nothing but truth for an entire 24 hours.  The results are hilarious and life-changing for him!

Truthfulness is a foundational character trait of God.  Paul describes Him as the "not-lying God".  Jesus describedi Himself as, "The Truth". Everything about Christianity, especially our hope of eternal life, is built squarely on that foundation.  Remove truth and everything else crumbles.

Satan, on the other hand, is portrayed in Scripture as "the Father of Lies."  It is his nature to "spin the truth".  We see it from Genesis to Revelation.  That same inclination is "standard equipment" in each of us.  It is foundational to our "sin nature", our "flesh".

As a child of God who is in the process of being transformed into the image of Christ, God expects me to reflect His nature.  For that to happen, truth needs to become the baseline of my life, too.  David says that those who would have fellowship with God must "walk with integrity, work righteousness, and speak truth in his heart."  If I am honest with myself and with God (Who already knows the truth!), those words don't always describe me.

God, I confess to You my natural inclination to "spin" truth.  Thank You for Your patience with me, for mercy and grace and forgiveness.  Thank You, Holy Spirit, for Your relentless intervention in my heart.  Please, Lord, let me reflect You; help me to think and speak Truth throughout this day.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment