Thursday, October 18, 2012

Stepping out of my comfort zone...

2 Corinthians 12:7, 9-10  "Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. "

Last Saturday I went with some friends to Mexico.  We took food and supplies to some very needy people who live in really difficult circumstances.  I went somewhat nervously because I had been thrust into the lead position and my Spanish is not the best.  I had prayed for God's intervention, for Him to communicate beyond my own linguistic skills.  Once there, the conversations flowed easily and more than once, my Mexican friends commented that my Spanish had improved.  I came home that evening overflowing with joy at how the Lord had so graciously answered my prayers.

I think that God uses me best when I step out of my comfort zone.  It is when I am stretched beyond my own resources, when I am forced to humbly and purposefully depend on His provision, that I grow spiritually.  It produces thanksgiving in me, blessings to others, and praise to our Heavenly Father.

Lord, I don't like being stretched.  I confess that I enjoy being comfortable.  Please help me today to trust You enough to step out of my comfort zone and allow the Holy Spirit to work through me.  I look forward to seeing what You do!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment