Thursday, October 11, 2012

Risky Business...

2 Corinthians 6:11   "Our mouth has spoken freely to you, O Corinthians, our heart is opened wide....Now in a like exchange--I speak as to children--open wide to us also."

Here in Southern California we have to lock everything or we risk it being broken into or stolen.  We even had thieves come on campus and steal our trash cans!  Now we have them chained to poles!!  Contrast that to the little town in Utah where my daughter lives.  Everything is wide open, nothing is locked, people trust each other.

It's like that with our hearts.  Because of past hurts or perceived danger, we sometimes close them up and lock them securely.  We don't allow anyone to get too close; we shrink back from revealing anything personal.  And, in so doing, we rob ourselves of the joy that comes with true fellowship.  Paul acted unilaterally.  He took the first step and opened his heart to the Corinthians.  Even though they had hurt him before, he took the risk, became vulnerable. 

Isn't that what God did for you and me?   How can I do less in my relationships with my Christian brothers and sisters?

Lord, You know I don't like being hurt.  It's easier, safer to pull in, close up, protect myself.  Yet, I know You want me to reach out, open my heart, trust You enough  to  become  vulnerable.   Loving others like You do is risky business.  Help me to do it today. Amen.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment