Monday, October 1, 2012

"Pry open my heart..."

2 Corinthians 6:11   "Our mouth has spoken freely to you, O Corinthians, our heart is opened wide. You are not restrained by us, but you are restrained in your own affections. Now in a like exchange--I speak as to children--open wide to us also."

Unilateral.  That word is risky, inherently trusting someone without any guarantees that he will reciprocate.  It infers vulnerability, opening oneself up to hurt; but it also opens one up to joy.  It is liberating.

Paul unilaterally opened his heart wide to the Corinthians.  They, in turn, were cautious, fearful, restrained in their love for him.  He urges them to respond to his example, to trust him enough to cast aside their restraints and love him wholeheartedly, unconditionally

That kind of love is frightening, yet with great risk there is great reward.  When you and I are open-hearted towards each other, we create the opportunity for pure fellowship.  We can communicate freely and honestly. We personalize 1 Corinthians 13... "love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things..."

I want that kind of relationship, but  how do I get it?  Where do I start?  How do I trust someone enough to risk it?  It won't happen if I just sit and wait.  It starts with me.  Actually, it starts with God!  His Holy Spirit lives in me and is pushing me in that direction. I need to listen to Him, trust Him, and take the first step.

Lord, I don't want to get hurt.  It's safer to hold back, protect myself.  Yet, I know that You want me to love others extravagantly, like You love me.  Please help me to take a step in that direction today.  Pry open my heart.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment