Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Are you an accredited Christian?...

2 Corinthians 13:5  "Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?"

Our school is one of about 25% of Christian schools that is accredited.  Accreditation is a rigorous, ongoing process of accountability and, at the elementary school level, is strictly voluntary.  The process requires thorough self-evaluation based upon ten non-negotiable standards, followed by an intense three-day evaluation by a non-partial team of educators.

Why would anyone in his right mind voluntarily submit himself and his staff to such a pressure-packed, nerve-wracking ordeal?  I have asked that question of myself on many occasions.  The answer is simple: We want our school to be the best it can be; we want to keep getting better.  In order to do that, we need someone to hold us accountable.

In his closing words to the church at Corinth, Paul challenges the believers to go through a similar process of self-evaluation.  He encourages them to examine themselves against the standards of the Gospel to verify their position in Christ, discovering their strengths as well as the areas where they need to grow.

Each of us is a work in progress; none has "arrived".  Romans 8:29 tells us that we are in the process of being shaped into the image of Christ.  So, what does the "image of Christ" look like?  What are the standards against which I can measure myself?  Here are a few to start with:

1. Standard of godly character        Gal 5:22
2. Standard of godly priorities         Matt 6:33; Col 3:1-4
3. Standard of godly attitudes          Phil 2:1-5
4. Standard of godly words              Ps 19:14; Col 4:6; Jas 1:26
5. Standard of godly works              Jas 1:22, 27; Eph 2:10
6. Standard of godly relationships    1 John 4:7-8;  Eph 4:32; Phil  2:1-4
7. Standard of a repentant heart       1 John 1:9-10

Lord, I gladly, humbly submit to Your evaluation of my life.  Holy Spirit, You live in me and know me intimately.  I already know several areas in which I need to grow.  Please reveal to me those "blind spots" of which I'm not aware.  Help me to hear you clearly and respond obediently.  I want to be an "accredited Christian"!

No comments:

Post a Comment