Monday, October 15, 2012

"Rejoicing in sorrow..."

2 Corinthians 7:9-10  "I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.  For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death."

Chemotherapy.  I just have to say the word, think the word, and I can feel the nausea beginning to creep up my throat.    Why would anyone in his right mind agree to having poisonous chemicals pumped into his body?  Who would willingly go through that process every week for 18 months?  I did.  And it wasn't a pleasant experience; it was "sorrowful", but it was necessary.  And it led to life.

Paul had written a pointed, confrontational letter to the church at Corinth.  There was a "malignancy" growing within the congregation and it needed to be removed.  Paul's harsh words were painful, both for him to write and for them to read.  However, because they responded to his admonition, both he and they were eventually able to rejoice.

Each of us experiences occasions when we need words of admonition -- painful, confrontational words; words that will wake us up and turn us around.  There are also times when we need to confront a friend who is making wrong choices.  Both situations are difficult and hurtful.  Yet in both cases, the pain is necessary for healing and restoration.  Ignoring it, hoping it will just go away is akin to ignoring a malignant tumor.  Ignorance is not bliss!

Lord, thank you for putting people in my life who love me enough to hold me accountable.  You use them to keep my feet pointed in the right direction.  Please give me the discernment and courage to do the same for others .  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment