Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A work in progress...

Ephesians 4:1-2  "Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with long-suffering, showing tolerance for one another in love..."

"It's not about you."  That phrase, made popular as the first sentence in Pastor Rick Warren's best-selling book, "The Purpose Driven Life", is at the heart of what Paul calls my "worthy walk".  Rather than self-centered,  I ought to be focusing outward, concerned more about the needs of others than my own.  My interaction with others should resemble that of Jesus.

Paul's words in Philippians echo in my mind... "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, Who, not counting equality with God something to be clung to, emptied Himself, taking the form of a bondservant..."   Jesus, King of the Universe, breathed life into the words, "humility, gentleness, long-suffering, tolerance".  He is my example, the pattern after which the Holy Spirit is conforming my life. God intends for me to look like Him, both inside and out.  That's not easy.

Too often I am more self-centered than others-oriented.  I think of my needs more than theirs.  As a result, my attitudes, words, and actions are less than humble, gentle, long-suffering, and tolerant.  It bothers me and I'm sure it must embarrass my Savior.

Lord, thank You for being so patient with me.  I am a work in progress, but sometimes I just get stuck. Please help me to be more like You than me today, to see others through Your eyes and love them with Your heart..  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment