Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why do you serve Jesus?

Ephesians 4:1  "Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called..."

At the beginning of each year, I look back over the calendar and evaluate how I invested my time during the past 12 months.  Did I make progress on the goals I had set?  Did I consistently keep my priorities in order?  How did I do as a husband and father?  Was I faithful in the ministry to which God called me?

In that process, a question worked its way to the surface: Why do I do what I do?  More specifically: Why do I serve Jesus?  As I pondered, it occurred to me that one of the great contrasts separating Christianity from all other religions is "get to" versus "have to".  In Christianity, ministry is a privilege.  In other religions, it is an obligation.

Paul begins this chapter with a simple, yet profound word, "Therefore".  It is a transitional word, pointing backwards and forwards.  It is the link between the first three chapters and the last three.  Chapters 1-3 describe our blessings, all of them undeserved.  He chose us, adopted us as sons, redeemed us, revealed His eternal plan through us, gave us an eternal hope, sealed us with His Spirit, designed a ministry for us, empowers us with His strength.  Chapters 4-6 set out the practical aspects of our Christian walk.

When I allow the enormity of His grace towards me to "sink in",  I am overwhelmed by a sense of gratitude that moves me to serve Him.  I want more than anything else to demonstrate my thanks in a life devoted to ministry. Serving Jesus is marked by delight rather than drudgery, motivated by love instead of fear, flowing from my heart - not legislated by rules of conduct.

Lord, I desire nothing more than to serve You.  As I walk through this day, please let my attitude, my speech, and my choices reflect a thankful heart.  I love You, Jesus!  Amen.

1 comment: