Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Are you a little off balance?

Ephesians 4:1  "Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called..."

The other day I was watching an episode of the old TV show, "Adam 12".  Malloy and Reed had pulled over a suspected drunk driver and were administering the field sobriety test.  The driver was ordered to walk on a line, heel-to-toe, but he was unable to do so.  Because he was under the influence of the alcohol in his system, he kept losing his balance.

The word, "worthy" has its roots in the concept of balance.  It describes someone using a set of scales.  A thing was deemed worthy if it weighed the same as the standard with which it was compared.

Paul says that my conduct ought to balance with my calling.  As a child of my Heavenly Father, there should be a family resemblance.  Put as a question, "Does my walk match  my talk?"

My ability to "maintain balance" is tied directly to what I allow to influence me. That to which I give my attention will fill my mind and determine my behavior. The more consistently I spend time reading and contemplating God's Truth, the better I am able to maintain balance in my daily walk (Joshua 1:8; Romans 12:1-2).

Dear Lord, I don't want to fail your "field sobriety test".  Today, please help me to be under Your influence rather than the influence of this world.  I want people to see a Family resemblance in me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment