Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It takes a village...

Ephesians 3:18 -19   "that you...may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God."

In 1996 Hillary Clinton published a best-selling book, It Takes A Village.  Based on an old African proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child", the book asserts society's role in a child's development.

While I don't necessarily endorse all of Clinton's views,  I think the concept is transferable when describing how Christians develop in their understanding of Christ's love.  Paraphrased, it would be, "It takes a church to comprehend the love of Christ."  Paul wrote, "that you may be able to comprehend with all the saints..."

I don't think Paul is demanding perfect attendance in the worship service.  Rather, I think he's describing a relational aspect to growing in our understanding of Christ's love.  It's practical, hands-on,  learning by doing. It is in our interaction with each other that we experience the qualities of Agape love Paul describes in 1 Corinthians 13.  That's where "the rubber meets the road", where theory becomes practical reality.

As the Holy Spirit moves me to demonstrate Christ's love to other Believers, I begin to comprehend that which "surpasses knowledge" and it begins to fill me up and control me.   As that occurs throughout the church, non-believers will take note and will be drawn to Jesus.

Dear Lord,  thank You for my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Thank You for helping me, through them, to better grasp what Your love looks like.  Please help me today to demonstrate it as I interact with those You bring across my path.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment