Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Seeing through other eyes...

Ephesians 3:8  "To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ..."

Romans 11:33  "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!"

I am intrigued by some of the crime shows on TV.  It always amazes me how detectives and forensic scientists are able, with the tiniest of clues, to reconstruct a murder and apprehend the  perpetrator.  It seems that no matter how careful the criminal, he inevitably leaves something that will trace the deed back to him.

The gist of the Paul's words in these two verses is that no matter how hard we try, we cannot search out, fully understand the blessings we have in Christ.  The English word "unfathomable" refers to the concept of being unable to measure the depth, to get to the bottom.  The Greek word  has the idea of not being able to track, to find the footprints.

My ability to comprehend the resources available to me in Christ is woefully inadequate.  I feel like Gehazi, Elisha's servant, when he was despairing their apparent fate at the hands of the Syrians (2 Kings 6:16-17).   All he could see was the vast army arrayed against them.  Then, after Elisha's prayer, his eyes were opened to the reality of God's fierce host of Heavenly soldiers in chariots of fire poised to attack their human enemy.

I need to take my eyes off of what is seemingly obvious and shift my focus to what is real.  I long to see more clearly through eyes of faith, to realize more fully the incomparable resources God has at my disposal.  I want to see angels rather than armies!

Lord, I confess that I don't trust You enough.  My vision is so short-sided.  I continue to perceive the obvious as being reality when, in truth, You have such a bigger plan behind the curtain, ready to be revealed.  Please give me eyes of faith today, give me a glimpse of what You have in mind for me.  Thank You!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment