Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Blend in or stand out?...camouflage or contrast?

John 7:7 "The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil."

Jesus was talking to His brothers, who did not believe Him to be the Messiah.  They were "of the world"; their outlook, their values were those of the society in which they lived.  Jesus, on the other hand,  stood for righteousness; His values were those of God, of Truth.  His words and His life were a mirror in which the world was forced to see itself as it was.  It didn't like the reflection so they decided to break the mirror.

Jesus stated a principle that still stands today.  If we go along with, conform to, the standards and values of our society, we won't face much opposition.  However, if we choose to stand up for Truth and speak out against sin, we become a target.  We have a choice to make...do we blend in or do we stand out?  If we truly desire to become like Jesus, we have made the choice...we will stand out and, in so doing, we will inevitably suffer with Him.

Lord, thank you for giving us Truth, and for showing us how to live it out.  Please give me the boldness to stand for You.  Let my choices, my words, my attitudes today reflect You.  Help me to stand up for You and stand out in contrast to this world's values.  I choose to wear "white" rather than "camouflage"!

No comments:

Post a Comment