Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A word from God...

2 Peter 1:21 "For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

I love to read.  I usually have more than one book going at a time. Occasionally I'll read a book that impacts me significantly.  I'll mark it up, put sticky notes on pages I want to bookmark - yes, I still read real books with paper pages!  I also read the Bible every morning.  It, too, is marked up and bookmarked.  It is an old friend.

Peter very simply states a truth that I often take for granted.  The God of the universe, the "Majestic Glory" (vs. 17), has chosen to communicate with me in language I can comprehend.  I actually have the privilege of reading a message from God Himself!  Even though I am faithful in spending time in the Word, I must confess that I don't treasure that gift as I ought.  I forget that this is not a letter from Peter I'm reading...it's a letter from the Lord.

The Bible isn't a book to read and casually set aside while we go about our day.  It is direct communication to us from our Savior.  It is something to be valued, treasured. 

Lord, please help me to give Your Word a higher priority in my day today.  Please help to treasure it in my heart so that it motivates, guides, directs my attitudes, actions, and speech today.

No comments:

Post a Comment