Monday, January 23, 2012

Hopeless or hopeful?...

2 Corinthians 1:3 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort..."

I remember the fear and discouragement, the hopelessness that accompanied the surgeon's matter-of-fact pronouncement of my "5 year survival percentage" -- 25% chance of surviving 5 years.  In an instant my expectations, my dreams, my hopes for the future lay shattered at the foot of the hospital bed.  Then God drew near, and my outlook changed.

Inherent in the character of God are the qualities of compassion (mercy) and comfort (encouragement).  I am so thankful that we do not have a stern, distant, unfeeling, unyielding, judgmental God.  Rather, the God we serve is our Father, one who wants us to call Him "Daddy".  His love for us overflows with emotion.  He is with us in our trials, He understands our pain, fear, and uncertainty.  He wraps His arms around us to shelter and protect us.  He whispers words of hope and encouragement and gives us strength to carry on.

Thank you, Lord, that You are a personal, loving, caring Father.  Please help me and those I love to sense Your nearness today.

No comments:

Post a Comment