Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Throwing rocks...

John 8:7 "...He who is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

We have a "problem child" at home, a canine "problem child" whose name is Oliver.  Oliver is still a puppy and we rescued him last summer, a Maltipoo puppy who had been cruelly abused.  He has a crooked smile (thanks to someone's foot in his jaw), a cock-eyed front paw, and ears that almost always are inside out.  What a cutie!  But oh, can he stretch our patience.  He is ADHD to the max, has nearly as much energy as he has kisses for us, and he seems to "talk" non-stop.  On those days when he wears us out, it is easy to see him as a "problem" to be dealt with.  We forget that he's still a baby in need of loving discipline and training.

At school it's hard sometimes to know what to do when I encounter a discipline "problem."  I tend to see the child as the problem, particularly if he or she is a repeat offender.  I forget that they're kids who happen to have and/or cause problems.  I also forget that if someone just looked at my faults, I too could be labeled as a problem.

What a contrast we find in the Scripture between the hearts of the Jewish leaders and the heart of Jesus.   They saw the woman caught in adultery as an object, a problem, an opportunity to trap Jesus.  He saw her as one of His children in desperate need of mercy, grace, and restoration.  They saw themselves as righteous, but Jesus saw their hearts and knew the truth.

Lord, thank you for giving me what I desperately need instead of what I fully deserve.  Please help me to see people through your eyes and with your heart today, and to respond accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment