Monday, September 17, 2012

"I want to make Him smile..."

2 Corinthians 5:9-10    "Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.  For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad."

I used to dread being called to the office.  Whether as a student in school, or as an employee, it was nerve-wracking to receive that summons.  I see it today in the faces of my students or teachers when I ask them to come see me.  That "What did I do wrong?" look fills their countenance.  It's only after they observe my smile that they begin to relax.

It's like that with Jesus.  Paul tells us that each of us will be summoned to Jesus' "office" (actually His throne room -- a little more intimidating setting!).  We'll stand before our Saviour for our "end-of-life performance evaluation"  I think I know myself pretty well, but He knows more intimately the details of my life, the thoughts and intentions of my heart, as well as my actions.  To be honest, the thought of Him revealing all of that scares me.  It also motivates me.

My goal in life is to please Jesus, to make Him smile.  I know I'm going to fail Him occasionally, but thank God He hasn't left me to my own resources.  His Word says that the Creator of the universe, Himself,  is "working in me that which is pleasing in His sight."  (Heb 13:21)  He not only wants me to succeed, He helps me to do it!

Lord, I know that You will walk beside me today, not as a critical observer, but as an empowering partner.  Please help me to be sensitive to Your "nudge" and let me feel the pleasure of Your smile.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment