Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What do you smell like?...

2 Corinthians 2:14-15   "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.  For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;"

When my wife and I were dating, she wore a favorite fragrance called, "Here's My Heart".  I loved that cologne, not just because it smelled nice, but because it reminded me of her.  Even after dropping her off, her "scent" lingered in my car and it was if she were still there.

Scents, fragrances, aromas, smells, odors.  We are affected by our sense of smell.  A whiff of a familiar aroma stirs a memory and, with it, the accompanying emotions.  Smells are powerful "triggers"!

Paul is painting a word picture for his readers.  He describes a familiar sight, that of a victory parade. Following a significant triumph, word would get back to Rome and the preparations would begin.  A newly-constucted "arch of triumph" awaited the return of the conquering general and his soldiers.   When the day finally arrived and the parade wound its way through the streets of Rome, the tantalizing aroma of burning incense wafted throughout the city.  Everyone could smell it and they knew the parade had arrived.

As Christians, we have a distinct "aroma".  It isn't something physical.  It is intangible, but nonetheless identifiable.  It emanates from the Holy Spirit who indwells us.  It begins in our hearts and works its way out through our character,  our attitude, our outlook, our words, and our actions.  It is recognizable; it's what draws Believers to one another.  To unbelievers it is unique, but confusing.  They sense it, but don't understand it.

Lord, please light the incense afresh in me today.  Holy Spirit, I want others to recognize your fragrance in my interactions.  Control  my expression, my body language, my attitude, my words - everything about me - that others would be drawn to Christ.  Please let them "smell" You in me!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment