Monday, September 24, 2012

The Ultimate Exchange...

2 Corinthians 5:18    "Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation."

Each month I go to Mexico.  My friends and I drive to some railroad tracks southeast of Tijuana, almost to Tecate, taking food, toys, toiletries, and other items the Lord gives to us.  We are inevitably greeted by a crowd of 100 or so men, women, and children (and scores of dogs!) with whom we have become acquainted over the years.  They are the poorest of the poor, living in little one-room shanties alongside the tracks, no water, electricity, or plumbing.

We make a stop in San Ysidro before crossing the border for a very important task.... exchanging dollars for pesos.  We're always hoping for a good exchange rate so we can get the most for our money.

The term "reconciliation" in the verses above comes out of the Greek marketplace.  it is the word used for exchanging money.  In Scripture it speaks of exchanging something far more valuable than dollars and pesos. It is exchanging Christ's garment of pure, white, sinlessness for my filthy, disheveled robe of sin.  It's trading my destiny of eternal punishment for His gift of Eternal Life.

He not only made that "exchange" with me; He also has given me the privilege of facilitating it with others. That's why we go to Mexico every month.  It's not about providing food and other necessities to those in need; it's our "ministry of reconciliation" - building relationships with these people, sharing God's Word, and watching the Holy Spirit transform their lives!  What a privilege and joy it is to be His ambassador!

Lord, thank You for providing the "ultimate exchange" for me and for allowing me to share it with others. Please keep it fresh in my mind today so that, as I interact with those You lead across my path, I will be ready to offer Your grace to them.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment