Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Shine, Jesus, Shine...

2 Corinthians 4:6   "For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.  But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves..."

It was my privilege a few years ago to work for "Joni and Friends".  The founder of that ministry is Joni Eareckson Tada, a dynamic woman through whom God has touched thousands of lives with  His message of mercy, encouragement, and hope... particularly ministering to those with disabilities.  Joni, herself, was paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a diving accident when she was a teenager.

I always knew when Joni had arrived at the office.  She delights in singing praises to the Lord and would wheel through the door belting out a hymn or a praise chorus.  It was contagious, and invariably everyone in the office stopped what they were doing and joined in.  One chorus I never tired of hearing was, "Shine, Jesus, Shine".  It typified Joni.  She personified what Paul describes in the verses above.  Yes, Joni's "treasure" is in an "earthen vessel", but the brilliant Light of God's glory shines from her like no one I've every met before.

That's what I want people to see in me.  Yes, I'm imperfect; I mess up; I'm lacking in so many areas.  But... the surpassing greatness of God indwells me through His Holy Spirit and He delights in manifesting Himself through vessels of weakness.

Lord, You know me inside out.  You know my imperfections and weaknesses.  Please shine through me today.  Touch those I encounter throughout the day with your mercy and love.  Give them a glimpse of You and open their hearts.  Amen.  Yay, Jesus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment