Thursday, September 6, 2012

What color is your ensemble, really?..

..2 Corinthians 2:17   "For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God."

I get up early each morning, so the light isn't that great when I'm getting dressed for work.  The grey slacks, white shirt, and grey socks I pick to wear look good together. I routinely do a "color check" with my wife, asking if what I'm wearing goes together.  Her response: "Go stand in the light so I can see it better."  It isn't until I walk out the front door that the sunlight exposes the truth about my ensemble.  The slacks that looked grey in the house are actually green.  The "grey" socks have a bluish tint to them.  My "white" shirt turns out to be cream-colored.  While the outfit looks "okay", it doesn't match the picture in my head.  

Paul uses a similar word picture in describing how we should speak.  We are to speak the Word of God sincerely.  The word "sincerity" comes from a compound word translated "examined by the sun."  In other words, what we speak is to be accurate and true.  He tells Timothy to "handle the Word of God accurately" (2 Tim 2:15).

Not only are the words we use examined in the light, guess who's standing opposite us watching and listening.... God Himself, the Author of the Words.
I might be able to fool you, but not Him!

All this goes to say that I need to be watchful, careful how I speak and what I say.  I am representing my Savior and the Father is listening.

God, please help me to be diligent in handling Your Word today.  Sometimes I get lazy and what I say doesn't stand up to examination in the light.  Help me to be careful, speaking the truth appropriately, accurately in love.  Shut my mouth when I am about to speak inappropriately.  Let me sense Your presence throughout the day.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment