Monday, October 24, 2011

Life is like a coffee filter...

Psalm 91:12, 17 "So teach us to number our days, that we my present to You a heart of wisdom ...and let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and do confirm for us the work of our hands..."

This morning I used the last coffee filter. I thought this day would never come.  Over a year ago I bought a "Costco-sized" package of coffee filters.  The stack was huge and the filters were so thin that the supply never seemed to diminish.  But it did, one by one.  A few weeks ago it dawned on me that the end was near, and my perspective shifted.  As I got nearer the end of the stack, each filter seemed to gain significance.

For me, time is like that stack of coffee filters, a seemingly endless supply of minutes, hours, days, years, decades.  Compared to the "stack", one day didn't seem that important, but the older I get, the more I tend to look back and wonder if I have used the time allotted to me wisely.  I think I have wasted much of it, drifting from day to day as though the supply was endless.  I spent much of it looking forward to the "next thing" instead of making the most of what God had for me that day.

I view time differently these days.  There is no endless supply.  My time has a beginning and and end.  It is temporary.  I am much nearer the bottom of the stack and I realize that time is a precious commodity. Each minute is something to cherish, every breath is a gift from God.  I don't want to waste them.  I want them to matter, to count for something.

Lord, I don't know where the bottom of the stack is for me, but You do.  You tell me that my times are in Your hands (Ps 31:15).  Please guide me through this day so that tonight I can look back and sense your smile of pleasure because I have used my time wisely.






No comments:

Post a Comment