Monday, December 12, 2011

Do your roots go deep?...

Proverbs 12:3 "A man will not be established by wickedness, but the root of the righteous will not be moved."

Some time back I decided to remove a yucca tree from our front garden.  It looked to be a relatively easy, straightforward Saturday morning job, a quick task list check mark.  Boy, was I mistaken!  I quickly cut away the trunk with a chainsaw, but I still had to remove the stump.  I dug and yanked, dug some more and pulled until my back ached.  I bent my steel pry bar!  Still it would not budge.  "I know...I'll drag it out with my truck!"  I attached a towing strap to the stump, secured the other end to my truck and slowly accelerated.  The strap went taught...and snapped!  I had no idea the roots of that yucca were so firmly established.

Lucifer (Satan) pridefully thought he could wrest God's kingdom from Him and, to this day,  thinks he will prevail.  Wrong.  The Bible is clear about the outcome: God wins!  Satan will end up in the Lake of Fire. But, he'll not be alone.  He is constantly trying to lure us away from the truth, to turn us from the Light.  He attacks relentlessly, chopping away, digging, trying to pull us from the truth.  Those whom he has deceived, who choose to follow his lies will share his fate. 

I want to be like that yucca.  Though the enemy hacks away at me and yanks with all his might, his attacks are futile because I am rooted deeply, firmly in the Truth - God's Word.  As Believers, we have the Holy Spirit, the Author of the Book, to teach us and lead us.  He uses God's Word in us to protect our hearts and minds and helps us discern Satan's deceptive schemes.  He uses Satan's attacks to produce Christ's character in us. 

Thank You, Holy Spirit, for living in me, for guiding me into Truth and protecting me from Satan's wiles.  Please help me to sink my roots deeper into the Word, that I might not be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment