Thursday, December 22, 2011

Net-mending (part 2)...

Galatians 6:3 "If anyone thinks you are something when you are nothing, you deceive yourself."

To illustrate what it is to be a true friend (neighbor), Jesus told the parable of the "Good Samaritan".  You know the story...the Jew had been set upon, beaten, robbed, left for dead.  Two religious leaders saw him and they each passed him by, thinking themselves too good, too important, or too busy to become involved.  In passing, I imagine them saying, "I'll pray for you."  Then one least expected comes upon the man, stops to help, and goes out of his way (and spends his money!) to provide for his care.

That's the picture that comes to mind with this verse.  God calls us to be "net-menders".  Net-mending is neither easy nor convenient.  It is tedious and sometimes costly.  It forces us out of our comfort zone, interrupts our schedule, takes us out of our way, requires us to sacrifice on behalf of our friend.  How much easier to gloss over the problem, promise to pray for him, and go on our way.  We have things to do, people to see, schedules to keep. And in so doing, the Bible says we deceive ourselves.

How do you see yourself?  If I am honest, I see myself as a forgiven-by-grace sinner, walking with Jesus, but vulnerable to transgression.  I walk with brothers in Christ towards Heaven and we help keep each other on the path.

Lord, thank you for the net-menders in my life, friends who watch out for me, who hold me accountable, who help me stay on the "narrow road".  Please help me to be a faithful friend and do the same for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment