Monday, December 5, 2011

You're not the boss of me!...

Romans 14:19 "So then let us pursue the things that lead to peace and the mutual building of of one another."

I have three younger brothers.  When we were growing up, my parents would occasionally leave me in charge while they went out for awhile.  I took my responsibility (and my temporary authority) seriously and tried to run a tight ship.  Inevitably, when they were corrected, one or all of them would retort, "You're not the boss of me!", which led to some interesting confrontations.  Needless to say, it didn't lead to peace.:-)

We have abundant freedoms in Christ; however, we are to exercise them responsibly.  The goal for us is not self-satisfaction but rather mutual edification.  Love isn't self- seeking, insisting on its own way (1 Cor 13:5), but is to look out for the interests of others (Phil 2:4). 

Insisting on my rights leads to confrontation and schism.  It doesn't promote unity and it doesn't bring a smile to God's face.  What if Jesus had insisted on His rights?!  Where would we be?  I don't even want to think about that alternative.

Lord, please help me to be sensitive to Your leading today, to be others-oriented rather than self-centered.  Let me be patient and long-suffering, seeking peace and seeking to build someone else up in the process. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment