Thursday, December 8, 2011

Keeping the muck off...

Romans 16:19 "...I want you to be wise in what is good, and innocent ("unmixed", "uncontaminated") in what is evil."

Last month some friends from church and I made our monthly trek to an area outside Tijuana, not far from Tecate, B.C.  We take food, toys, supplies to needy people who live in shanties alongside a railroad track, and to a local pastor.  It was a rainy day, and the wetter it got, the more mucky the adobe clay became.  At one point it nearly sucked the boot off my foot.  Once I got home, it took a good bit of scrubbing to clean off my boots and the floor mats of my truck.  The heavy rain on the way home cleaned the exterior pretty well. :-)

If we're to obey God's Word, we will get involved with our world so we can share the Gospel. In so doing, it is hard not to have the world's values, and philosophy rub off on us.  It sticks to us like that mucky Mexican clay.  How do I get rid of it?

In another passage, Paul tells us that we must be lights in the world (Phil 2:15), but we must keep our lens clean.  How do we do that?

The answer to both questions is clear: We need daily cleansing in the Word of God and prayer. (Ps 119:9, 11; 1 Jn 1:9)  I find that when I am consistent in my time with God's Word my perspective remains accurate.  When I am inconsistent, it becomes distorted.

Lord, please help me today to be in the world but not of it.  Let me be a clear light shining in the darkness. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment