Monday, December 19, 2011

Who keeps your appointment book?

Galatians 6:10 "So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, especially to those who are of the household of faith."

How do you start your day?  What is your outlook?  Do you see it as a task list to be accomplished or as an adventure to enjoy?  One does not necessarily exclude the other, but your outlook will determine how much you enjoy it and how many people you can bless.

A key word in the verse is "opportunity".  It speaks of "Divine appointments".  I have a schedule to keep each day.  My Outlook Calendar is booked with people to see and things to accomplish.  However, God also has an appointment book for me that I don't see in advance.  It's preplanned, but not by me.  I find that when I start my day by acknowledging God's "Daytimer" and "giving Him permission" to insert His appointments into my schedule, my day becomes much more exciting and enjoyable.

These days, I try to view every encounter, every interruption as something arranged beforehand by the Holy Spirit.  It might be someone who pops his head in the door and asks, "Are you busy?", or someone with whom I stand in line at the grocery store.  It is a parent or student I greet at the beginning of the school day.  It's a person I pass on the sidewalk or for whom I open a door.  Every encounter brings with it the opportunity to bless someone.

Lord, as I go about my day today, please let it be more than just checking off tasks on my to-do list.  Please keep me sensitive to the appointments you have for me.  I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment