Friday, December 9, 2011

God's department of search and rescue...

2 Peter 2:9 "...the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials..."

In my role as a chaplain with our city's department of fire and rescue, I watch how diligently the firefighters train every day so that they will be ready when their help is needed.  They are passionate and focused on their mission and If I ever find myself in a precarious situation, in need of rescue, these are the guys I want to help me!  They're the best!

In the verses preceding v.9, Peter reminds his readers of several instances in the Old Testament where God dramatically rescued His people...people like Noah and Lot.  He goes on to say that if God was able to rescue them, He surely can and will do the same for us. 

God is the ultimate search and rescue expert.  His expertise, power, passion, and focus are limitless.  He is aware of our situations and needs.  He is ever present with us.  Not only does He know how to rescue us from trials, He knows when to rescue us so that the trials actually turn out to be blessings.  He uses trials for our benefit, for our growth.  Here's what Peter said about it in 1 Peter 5:10, "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast."

Lord, I know that you are ready and able and willing, not only to rescue me from trials, but to actually use the trials for my benefit.  Thank you.  Please help me to remember this.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment