Thursday, November 17, 2011

Baby steps from faith to FAITH...

John 4:50, 53  "The man believed the word that Jesus spoke and he started off...so the father knew that it was at the same hour that Jesus had said, 'Your son lives', and he himself believed and his household."

The nobleman in this passage had heard (or possibly witnessed) the miracles Jesus had done in Jerusalem and he found himself in a crisis.  His son was dying.  He heard that Jesus was in Cana of Galilee, so he set off to find Him and bring Him to his son in Capernaum.  He had seen and heard enough to believe Jesus might be able to do something for him.  Upon encountering Jesus and begging Him to come heal his son, he was told to go home, that his son would live.  His faith grew to the point that he obeyed and headed home.  Part way there his servants met him and told him that his son's fever had broken (at the exact time Jesus spoke those words to him)...and his faith increased.  Baby steps.

Jesus accepts us where we are, but he won't allow us to stay there.  He constantly works in and around us to deepen our faith. Sometimes it's baby steps; other times it is a leap of faith.  He wants us to move out of our comfort zone.  I love the adventure of "faith-walking"!  At times it feels precarious because I have relinquished control, but it is exhilarating when God come through and I realize that I've marked another step in my spiritual growth.

Lord, I trust You.  Please guide my steps today.  Help me to grow in my faith, even if it's baby steps.

1 comment: