Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Grow up!!

Ephesians 4:15  "But speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ."

The jamb on the door leading form the garage into the house needs repainting.  It's smudged and marked up with "graffiti", but as long as I live in that house, it will never be covered up with paint.  Why not?  Because that "graffiti" is comprised of pen and pencil marks chronicling the growth of my four granddaughters.  Beside each mark is a date, a name, and a measurement.  My, how they have grown!

When I was growing up, I had the goal of being over 6' tall.  I didn't have much control over it, but I measured myself regularly, hoping to see some indication of progress.  Finally during the summer between 9th and 10th grades I had a growth spurt and I surpassed my goal.

God measures my spiritual growth.  It may not be written on a door jamb, but it is noted somewhere.  He measures me against a standard to which I'll never fully attain. He is working in me to grow me to the stature of His Son, Jesus.  He uses His Word, interaction with other believers, "equipping" from spirit-gifted pastors and teachers, and exercising my gifts; He does it in the context of the body (the church).  That's where we are equipped and have opportunity to use our spiritual gifts.

God doesn't force me to go to church.  He has placed me in the body of believers and offers me the fellowship and teaching I need to grow.  If I want to progress in my journey toward the image of Christ, I will joyfully do it in the company of my brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment