Friday, November 11, 2011

Which way to you pull on the leash?

Romans 12:11  "not lagging behind in diligence fervent in spirit, serving the Lord..."

Each morning our little dogs take me for a brief walk before I head for the office.  They each walk at a pace that reflects their personality.  Oliver, our hyperactive puppy, would pull my arm off if he were bigger.  He's always on the lookout for an adventure, ever on the go.  Rascal is also active, but more controlled, and he walks right beside me.  Bentley, our little "OCD" (obsessive compulsive disorder) dog lags behind, occasionally digging in his feet and refusing to go in the direction I'm leading.  The four of us must be a sight!!

Depending on my mood and energy level, my walk with Jesus can resemble any one of our dogs.  How would He want me to walk?  I think He'd prefer that I walk alongside, attentive to His direction.  Paul describes it as fervent, a word that describes a boiling pot of liquid.  He wants us to be excited, anticipating, attentive, and willing to go in whatever direction the Holy Spirit leads. 

Unfortunately, I sometimes tend to be "slothful".  The word has the idea of lagging behind, procrastinating.  I find myself battling procrastination more than I like to admit.  It's so much easier to "think about it tomorrow", that is until "tomorrow" comes.  My desire is to discern God's priorities for my time and energy and to invest in them diligently, excitedly, wholeheartedly.

Lord, help me today to actively look for the divine appointments you have for me and let me serve you with my whole heart..  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment