Thursday, November 10, 2011

Love, hate, and hypocrisy...

Romans 12:9 "Let love be without hypocrisy, abhoring what is evil and clinging to that which is good."

Two interesting descriptions of love..."without hypocrisy" and "abhoring/clinging". Hypocrisy has to do with do with putting on a false front, having a hidden agenda.  To abhor something is to shrink back from, to hate or detest that which is evil.  The word translated "clinging" has to do with being glued or cemented in such a way that the two pieces are inseparable. 

If we love someone in this way, we will be open and honest with them; no hidden agendas or ulterior motives.  In that spirit of honesty, we are to be careful not to compromise when there is sin.  If I truly love someone, I will confront and expose sin if it is present.  I will do it lovingly, but I will not gloss it over.  Similarly, I will endorse and emphasize the good that I see.

God's love towards us is like that...He doesn't compromise, won't let us get away with sinning. He holds us accountable.  He loves us so much that He is totally open and honest...no hidden agendas, no sugar coating.  We also bask in the glow of His pleasure as He sees us doing good, making wise choices.

I always know where I stand with Him.  His Holy Spirit in me makes sure of that.  I love it when I sense Him smiling at me.  It motivates me to follow Him more closely.


No comments:

Post a Comment