Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How do I discern between better and best?...

Philippians 1:9-10  "And this I pray, that your love may abound still  more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ."

God's goal for me is to live like Jesus ("sincere and blameless").  He wants my journey to be marked by wise choices, growing in my ability to sort out the "best" from the "good" and the "better".  I don't have much difficulty distinguishing good from bad, but as the differences become more subtle, it gets harder to discern which direction to take.

Paul's prayer sheds some light on the process.  The key for me is to consistently demonstrate God's selfless, outward-oriented love toward those He brings across my path.  In turn, that causes me to abound (cool word..."to grow greatly") in "real knowledge" (knowledge coupled with experience) and discernment (the ability to sort things out).  This leads to my being able to see which choice is the best ("excellent").

As I walk consistently with God, I become more attuned to His voice, His nudging, and I am able to confidently follow His lead.  It all starts with Him and He graciously involves me in the process. 

I love this "faith walk" and can hardly wait to see what He has planned for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment