Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I can't figure this out....

John 3:9 "Nicodemus answered, 'How can these things be?'" 

There was a time when I was younger that I sincerely believed I could understand anything.  All I needed was for someone to explain it to me.  When a professor tired of my questions and in exasperation finally said, "There are some things that are too infinite for our finite minds to comprehend."  I dismissed his answer as a "cop out" (a 1960's term). 

Now that I'm older, and hopefully a little wiser, I see my professor's response as a true statement.  There are lots of things beyond my comprehension, some because I'm not smart enough, but others because there are infinite concepts that just won't fit into a finite brain.  

Nicodemus couldn't comprehend what Jesus had told him.  He wasn't even sure what questions he wanted to ask, so he opened the conversation with a "generic" statement.  Instead of responding to what Nicodemus said, Jesus answered the deeper questions that were yet to take form in his heart.  Nicodemus didn't know what to think or how to process the information.  So he went away pondering it, observed Jesus over the next three years, and eventually came to faith. 

That's how God wants me to respond when I can't figure out what He's doing or why He's doing it.  I need to patiently trust Him and be willing to wait for His answer.  He knows my questions before I ask.  He knows what I need before it is apparent to me.  I must remain open, seeking, observing, responding to what He does and says.  Trusting God moment by moment is the adventure of a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment