Monday, November 21, 2011

Lord, you're moving me out of my comfort zone...

Romans 12:13 "...as to the needs of the saints:  contributing, practicing hospitality..."

When I was a little kid growing up in church, one of my favorite words was "fellowship".  I loved to see it in the church bulletin and it caught my attention when it was mentioned from the pulpit.  You see, to me, fellowship equated to food, lots of it.  As I have matured, so has my concept of fellowship.  It actually means to participate with others based on something you have in common.

When Paul was reviewing characteristics of the church, fellowship had to do with helping those in need, participating in blessing them financially.  How do I respond when the Holy Spirit makes me aware of someone's need?  Do I pray for them?  Do I go beyond praying and become involved?  That's what scripture says we should do.

The other key concept that is mentioned in this passage is "practicing hospitality".  I always equated this with food also.  I must have been a hungry kid!  I thought it meant having someone over for dinner.  Hospitality comes from a word that means, "love of strangers".  The word "practice" means "to pursue".  Hospitality goes far beyond a dinner invitation.  To practice hospitality is to be proactive, to be looking for opportunities to demonstrate Christ's love to someone we may not know.  It goes hand in hand with participating in the needs of the saints.

The early church was a persecuted church; Christians were on the move, fleeing from the likes of a young Saul.  When they came into a strange town or city, it was the local fellowship of Believers to whom they turned for food and shelter.

I like to be comfortable, but the Holy Spirit is constantly moving me out of my comfort zone.  I find security in my schedule, but He continually disrupts my routine.  I "need" to hold on to my "stuff", but God keeps loosening my grip and reminding me that what He has given me is for His use.  He pushes me to pursue hospitality and sharing with those in need.

Lord, who I am and what I have is yours.  Please feel free to use me today in whatever way You like.

No comments:

Post a Comment