Monday, November 28, 2011

No ordinary response allowed...

Romans 12:17  "Not repaying anyone evil for evil; being careful to do what is right in the sight of all men."

How do you respond/react when someone attacks you?  My natural inclination is to defend myself and counter-attack.  After all, isn't that my right?  Isn't that natural?

The little phrase, "being careful to do" is literally translated, "thinking beforehand", and the word, "right" means that which is intrinsically good (the exact opposite of  "evil").  God wants me to to think before I react.  He doesn't say not to defend myself, but He does say to be careful not to stoop to the level of the attacker. 

We are constantly being observed, both by others and by God Himself (2 Cor 8:21).  Both Christians and non-Christians are watching our actions and reactions to see if we are any different than themselves.  It is easy to be ordinary in my reactions, but God wants me to be extraordinary.  How do I do it?  By thinking ahead of time; by anticipating; by asking God at the beginning of my day to help me respond to everyone in a way that directs them to Him.

Lord, I want to honor You in all things today.  Please guard my heart, mind, and emotions.  Help me, Holy Spirit, to respond to others as You would.  Thank you for not repaying me evil for evil!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment