Friday, November 4, 2011

Faith...size doesn't matter!

Rom 12:3 "...do not think more highly of yourself than you ought to think, but think so as to have sound judgment, as God as allotted to each a measure of faith."

We have three little white dogs.  When giving them treats, Rascal and Oliver devour theirs, but Bentley takes his sweet time.  He spends more time protecting his snack from his brothers than he does eating it!  So...(don't tell Bentley this!) we usually give bigger portions of the snacks to Rascal and Oliver in hopes that by the time they're done, Bentley will also have finished.

Although there's something about it that doesn't quite seem fair, God does the same thing when He gives us faith.  Eph 2:8 tells me that faith is a gift from God.  In the Rom 12 passage, Paul says that God gives us each an allotment, and infers that the allotment differs from believer to believer.  The larger context is that of exercising our spiritual gifts within the life of the "body".  It sounds like exercising some gifts might require more faith.

Here's a comparison...We each differ in the size of our brain, in our intellectual capacity.  That's something that was determined when we were conceived.  It was "allotted" by God.  People more intelligent than I tell me that, regardless of the size of my brain, I will never come close to fully utilizing it's capacity.

It's like that with my faith.  It may be smaller than yours, but regardless of it's size, I will never exercise it to its fullest extent.  God keeps stretching it, expanding my ability to trust Him.  My goal is to trust God more tomorrow than I do today...and so on....and so on.




No comments:

Post a Comment