Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Nearsighted or farsighted...Where's your focus?

2 Corinthians4:18 "While we look not at the things which are seen but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

The things upon which we focus have a direct effect on what we do, how we respond.  I took a motorcycle safety course a few years ago.  The instructors kept reinforcing a couple of things regarding our focus.  First, they said it is vital to maintain a "big picture" mentality.  Let your eyes continually sweep the road ahead, anticipating potential threats.  Second, when entering a turn, intentionally turn your head and "look through" the turn rather than focusing on the pavement directly in front of your tire. 

In the first instance, if I'm only looking at my immediate surroundings, I will not be able to avoid obstacles or other dangers I may encounter.  In the second instance, looking through the turn automatically shifts my weight and guides me through the maneuver.

Life's a lot like that.  God instructs us to lift our eyes, to keep our perspective broad, to view relationships, circumstances, events in the context of eternity.  When I narrow my focus and only see the immediate, I get off track and miss what God is saying or doing in that situation.  Looking around, looking through the turn, helps me to avoid danger and to maneuver smoothly.

God uses trials and suffering in our lives to refocus our attention on what is really important.  When we live in the context of eternity, we gain His perspective, we maintain balance, and we experience peace and joy.

Lord, let me see through your lens today!

No comments:

Post a Comment