Monday, February 27, 2012

Steering clear of the mud puddles...

2 Cor 7:1 "Since we have these promises, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."

I think mud puddles have built-in "tractor beams" that pull little boys in.  I remember how I used to love splashing around in them when walking home from school on a rainy day.  I also remember the scolding (spankings) and baths that followed.  As I grew a little older and, hopefully, wiser, I learned to anticipate "what happens next." The rewards for good behavior and the punishment for poor choices helped me to resist the allure of the puddles.

Like little boys drawn to mud puddles, so we are attracted to sin.  Just as it takes a bath in clean water to get the mud off the child who succumbed to the temptation, so the blood of Jesus makes us clean again.  Promised rewards and the fear of a spanking helped me learn to give mud puddles a wide berth.  They also help me to steer clear of sin.  The result?  I'm beginning to look a little more like Jesus!

Lord, no matter how much fun it might be (for awhile) to jump in, please help me to steer clear of the mud puddles today. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment