Sunday, August 21, 2011

Are you ready for the "Big One"?

Hebrews 12:26,28 "Yet once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heavens...therefore let us show gratitude by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe." 2 Peter 3:11 "Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness."

I have never felt as helpless and impotent as in the midst of an earthquake. There's nothing to do but wait and hope that the shaking will stop. The world is still reeling under the effects of last winter's earthquake in Japan. According to the Bible, these are merely hints of what is to come. There will be a day when all that we assume to be stable and permanent will be destroyed by earthquakes and fire, to be replaced with a "new heaven and a new earth".

If I really believe that to be true, my life should reflect it. My outlook should be characterized by a sense urgency. I am quick to be sure that my house and my school is ready for the "big one", but do I have that same determination to prepare for the "BIG ONE"? I know I am ready, but how about my next door neighbor? What about the person I encounter in the grocery check-out line? I need the Holy Spirit to continually prompt me to "let my conversation be seasoned as it were with salt" (Col. 4:6), always "fishing for souls", alert to opportunities to share the Gospel.

Lord, I look forward to what You have planned for me, but I so often slip into a selfish state of mind, not really caring to share it with others. It's so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day routines and challenges. Please, Holy Spirit, keep me alert today. Let me see with Your eyes, hear with Your ears, speak Your words, and act with Your hands. Please touch someone through me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment