Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Well shut my mouth!!....

Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips."

I remember riding home from a staff Christmas party with one of my close friends. There had been a gift exchange, one of those where gifts are picked from a table and can be "stolen" by another person until they are "frozen". I was feeling cheated. You see, I had worked really hard to create a beautiful wooden plaque to give. When all was done, I ended up with what I regarded as a "white elephant". I remarked to my friend about being short-changed by such a cheap gift. He responded by saying that he had brought the "cheap gift", and that it was actually a collector's item. You can imagine how I felt. There was no way for me to pull those words back into my mouth. My face still burns with shame and embarrassment as I recall the conversation.

Our words come from our hearts. When my heart is not right, my words are not right. I hurt people. I disappoint God. I feel ashamed. How much better is it to start the day with the Lord, seeking His face, submitting everything to Him, listening to Him, and asking Him to guide our conversations.

Lord, let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight today.

No comments:

Post a Comment