Thursday, August 25, 2011

Who or what is your "constant", your "North Star"?

Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."

"Immutable", the theological concept for "unchangeable", is a key characteristic of God. We live in a world where everything is changing at a pace we can't keep up with. What's new today is obsolete tomorrow. Truth has become relative and is defined by circumstance and convenience. People we thought we could trust are revealed to have secret lives we knew nothing about. The stress this brings becomes unbearable.

All of creation is in a state of flux. Even the North Star, the navigational "constant" isn't constant at all. It is only constant in relation to our planet. The only true, real constant is the Creator, Jesus Christ.

What a comfort to know that wherever I am, whatever I think or say, whatever I have done or am doing, it doesn't alter His position. He is still the God of grace, mercy, love, peace. He is facing me with arms open wide to welcome me back. He is beside me with a comforting, encouraging arm around my shoulder. He is my rock, my refuge, my comfort, my peace.

Lord, thank you that no matter what else may change in my world, You are my "constant".

No comments:

Post a Comment