Monday, August 8, 2011

You are a key component in God's "stimulus plan"...

Hebrews 10:24 "and let us consider how t stimulate one another to love and good deeds."

A few years back I spent considerable time in Dr. Jackson's sports rehab clinic getting my injured knee back in shape. One of the techniques he used was electric stimulation. I had an electric lead attached to my leg and every few seconds a jolt would stimulate my muscles to flex and then relax. I couldn't do it myself because the muscles were weak, but with the help of the electric stimulus my muscles regained their ability to function.

Sometimes my spiritual life is like that weak knee. I need some external stimulus to help me grow stronger and more effective in my service to God. That's where God's stimulus plan kicks in. He wants each of us to be aware of the needs of the other and to be proactive in doing whatever it takes to help them grow. Sometimes it involves confrontation; other times it is a soft word. It may just be the "ministry of presence" -- being there with them when they're hurting.

We are interconnected. We are the body of Christ and we must take care of each other. Lord, please help me to be sensitive to opportunities to make a difference in someone's life today. Keep from being so self-centered that I am oblivious to those around me. Please use me as a stimulus for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment