Sunday, August 28, 2011

Have you served your "ministry apprenticeship".....

Hebrews 13:21 "May the God of peace...equip you with every good thing for doing His will, and my He work in us what is pleasing to Him, through Christ Jesus, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

I remember as a young pastor feeling inadequate, ill-equipped to really minister comfort and encouragement to those who were going through traumatic, life-threatening illnesses. I could pray with them, read Scripture with them, but I couldn't identify with their suffering. I longed to be able to do more.

Then in 1980 I became well-acquainted with colon cancer, and through that experience God equipped my to truly sympathize with others who were suffering. I had "paid my dues", "served my apprenticeship", and had earned the right to say, "I know how you feel."

1 Peter 5:10 tells us that going through tough times is one of the ways God equips us for ministry. I love this verse: "...and after you have suffered a little while, God Himself will equip you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast."

Are you suffering right now? Are you enduring hardship? Don't be discouraged. Don't give up. God, the Redeemer, can and will redeem your suffering. He will qualify you to more effectively serve Him and help others. You will, in time, be able to say, "Thank you." I know. I've been there. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment