Friday, August 5, 2011

What are you waiting for?

Hebrews 9:28 "So Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of the many, shall appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him."

I remember it as though it were yesterday. It was early April, 1950 and I was approaching my 5th birthday. All I could think about was the new bicycle (my first) my dad had promised me. Saturday morning we drove downtown to the Sears (there were no malls yet!) to pick it out. From all of the bikes in the store, I chose a beautiful red one with whitewall tires. I was ready to ride it home! Then came the disappointing news...this one was a "floor model"; I would have to wait a week for them to deliver it. That was the longest week of my short life! Every morning I would go to my lookout post on the corner and wait for the big green Sears truck. Finally, the next Saturday morning I saw the truck rumble around the corner and come to a stop in front of my house. Anxiously I ran to the driver asking, "Do you have my bike?" And, much to my delight, he rolled that shiny new bicycle off the truck and into waiting hands! I still tremble a bit with the excitement I felt so long ago. And, I still feel the anxious sense of anticipation as I waited for what seemed forever for that day to come.

That's what the writer of Hebrews said it should be like for us as Believers, looking for the appearing of Jesus..."eagerly awaiting Him." How often does Jesus' coming occupy your thoughts during a day? If I'm honest, I don't think about it nearly as much as I thought about that new bicycle. All I could think about or talk about was that bike!

When my daughter was a little girl, she would see a unique cloud formation and exclaim, "I think that's the cloud Jesus is coming on!" Lord, I want that excitement, that anticipation today. Please let it consume my thoughts, influence my thinking, and color my conversation. Maranatha, Lord come quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment