Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Help! I feel like I'm walking blindfolded...

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

Each fall we take our 7th graders to Catalina for a week of marine biology and oceanography education. One of the highlights for me is the "faith walk". One dark evening the students are lined up single file, blindfolded, and instructed to extend their hands and place them on the shoulders of the person in front of them. Then they proceed on an obstacle course, over rocks and logs, under wire fences and low-hanging branches, around trees and along a narrow trail. They are not allowed to talk, except to alert the person behind them when they come to an obstacle. Needless to say, it is a stressful experience for some of the young people. But what a great example of walking by faith!

I often times feel like I'm walking blindfolded and it frustrates me. Yet, if I understand Scripture correctly, God wants me to walk by faith, not by sight. He wants me to get to know Him so well that I become sensitive to the quiet voice of the Holy Spirit directing my steps and helping me to avoid obstacles.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says..."Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."

Everything I am and everything I hope for is based on my faith in God and His promises. I am completely sold out to Him. Question: Do my decisions and my actions consistently reflect my faith? Lord, please help me to walk by faith, not by sight today. I'm listening.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but go to the song by Jeremy Camp " I will walk by faith even when I can not see.." Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete